I love the challenge of working on character designs. Just like casting for a TV show or a movie, selecting the right look for your characters can either enhance or distract from the story you are trying to tell. Below is some of the process I went through in developing the lineup for a comic I'm working on about cats. There's more to the story than felines but I'm purposefully keeping the subject of the story vague for right now.
During the first edit in my story I changed the biker character from a stern person into a friendlier personality. I tried to show this off by giving him a fuller beard to allude to Santa. Although this group is more in key to the final style I picked for the comic, I didn't feel like this look was working.
The above sketches are the finished designs I did for two of the main characters. I was happy enough with their look that I started thumbnailing out the first section of the book with them. I ended up scrapping those pages along with these two when I did a major story edit. The mom character on the right survived but now looks different. The granny character on the left was merged with a supporting character to help cut down unnecessary subplots in the story.