Friday, October 10, 2014

Life Drawing Media Demos

I did media demos in Life Drawing for Animation.  Each of these was drawn/painted during a 10-minute pose by the model.

This pose was first drawn with a black crayon and then tone was added with a series of gouache washes.  Sidenote: Yes, "crayon" means Crayola crayon.  I really like sketching with them especially when drawing from the model.  They act like a charcoal without the mess and its easy to add a wet on top without smearing everything.  They're cheap too!  I usually pick up a couple of boxes of crayons for a few dollars after the back-to-school clearance sales in September and then edit those down to a set that is nothing but black, white, grays, browns, ochers, tans, and indian reds.

I really like how the face turned out, so here's a close-up.

This small profile was drawn with a colored pencil and toned with gouache washes.

This was first drawn with a watercolor pencil and then gouache washes were added on top.  I really had to scrub with the brush for the lines to bleed (look at the line under the arm for example) so I wasn't thrilled with this certain brand of watercolor pencil.  I do like how the face and the tone turned out so it all worked out in the end.

No comments: