Friday, April 20, 2012

Old Master Sketches

The sketches below were drawn from "The Nude" by Kenneth Clark.  I found this book at my local library and it is loaded with tons and tons of wonderful imagery to sketch from.

Michelangelo's "Dawn" from the Medici Tomb drawn with the Pentel Pocket Brush Pen.

Michelangelo's sketch of the risen Christ drawn with a Pentel felt tip and Tombo marker.

Michelangelo's "Dying Captive" drawn with a Pentel felt tip and Tombo marker.

Giambologna's "Rape of the Sabine" drawn with the same Pentel/Tombo combo.  Foreshortened poses sometimes can look intimidating to draw but for me they're the most fun to sketch.
 
This is a quick study of the composition and lighting of Rubens' "Descent from the Cross."  Its cropped because I ran out of room on my sketchbook page.

Boucher's "Miss O'Murphy" drawn with a Sai pen.  I messed up the lighting in a couple of places in this sketch but I'm pleased with its overall look.

No comments: