Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Dip Pen!!!

I've been obsessed with inking as of late. I'm very comfortable with my drawing style, but I want to jazz the linework up from the blah look of Microns. So, I went to my local art store and loaded up on acrylic ink, nibs and specialty pens. Pen-wise I bought a really cool Japanese nylon brush-pen called "Sai." Or at least that is what I can read on the package. The tip doesn't fray and the ink comes out very black.
Nib-wise I figured out that I really hate the hard ones-Hunt 102, 104, etc. I think the nibs soften as you use them, but I don't have the patience for that. Instead I found I really like the softer nibs...Hunt Globe 513EF, Hunt School 56, Hunt Imperial 101 (my fav). Because they are soft it's easy to get blobs, but if you have a steady hand the linework really looks good. Below is a sampling of recent practice work.

P.S. No pencil-work here, just straight ink on board.

BTW, this is Monk sleeping. One of the very few times this bird is not awake yapping at me for apples and celery.

No comments: